Help Them Succeed and Not Drop Out
- Moving away from home and living on their own;
- Having to share a room or a space with someone who is not a family member;
- Getting to choose what courses to take instead of being told what to take and when to take it.
This newfound independence can be very liberating, while also posing some challenges as well.
Take for instance the ability to choose whether to go to class or not. At most colleges and universities professors don’t take attendance in class so if students don’t come, they don’t come… It is nice to have options, but doesn’t this choice have some consequences?
What about getting accommodations? In high school, federal law mandates that accommodations be given to every child who qualifies for them. However, in college, students must request help and in many instances explain why that help is necessary. And, oh by the way, mom and dad can’t help here because most college students are over 18 and thus considered legal adults.
Helping college students deal with these and many other changes they experience as they enter and work within our college and university systems is a complex task, to say the least. Each student’s needs are as diverse as the students themselves. But what if you have a student, who along with everything discussed above, is also struggling academically? How do we help them?
In this technological age, I suggest we harness the power of technology and use it to improve academic success for our students. Kurzweil 3000-firefly is a technology that is vastly used on college and university campuses across the United States to support struggling learners.
In order to assist you as you seek ways to help your students, Kurzweil Educational Systems and I have teamed up to present a series of five webinars that are intended to help you help your students. The titles and dates of the webinars are as follows:
- Reading and Comprehending Text at the College Level: How Technology Can Help (September 18, 2013)
- Vocabulary Acquisition in Postsecondary Education: Tools and Tips (October 2, 2013)
- Writing with Kurzweil 3000 for College Students (October 16, 2013)
- Using Kurzweil 3000-firefly to Improve Study Skills in College (October 30, 2103)
- Test Taking Strategies and Kurzweil for Postsecondary Students (November 13, 2013)
Consider joining us for one of the above webinars or for all of them. Each webinar will review the research concerning the topic areas above, share strategies for assisting postsecondary students, and show how Kurzweil 3000-firefly can be used to support students in these areas.
I look forward to exploring these topics with you, and learning how we can use technology to support our students.
Mary Anne Steinberg, Ph.D.